Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nerdygirl

I guess I'm what you'd call a "success story". My AH has been a drug addict for years. It wasn't until after we were married and living together did I see the extent of his pill problem (30mg Percocets 3x per day). His addiction was sucking money from our household, sucking the life out of him and sucking away my spirit. I came here, read a lot - especially Co Dependent No More and realized something had to change. While I was figuring things out, I began to detach from him. I detached from his problems, his issues, his excuses, everything. No money from me to carry him through till payday after he blew $800 in 3 days on pills. He noticed the detachment and I guess that was what scared him. I have already been divorced once. It was very hard but it didn't kill me. I can survive another if I had to. He knew this and he knew enough about me to know I was one bad day away from throwing his clothes in the yard and changing the locks. I didn't have to though. He changed. I didn't threaten him - I let him be whoever he was going to be. Apparently, he didn't want to be a drug addict anymore. I decided I wouldn't live with a person in active addiction. I didn't tell him this - it was MY decision. MY boundary. None of his business. He's been clean since April of last year. We're still together and bought a house a few months ago.... Only you can decide what to do and when to do it. It sounds like you've already decided to let go. I did the same thing and while I was getting my ducks in a row, he changed. Good luck and be sure to come back often!! We're here for you!