Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
hello-kitty

I'm reading this post and you keep refering to this MAN as a "kid". The way you describe him, he sounds like he's a 15 year old with some pretty challenging learning and emotional disabilities. But he's not. He's 22. He's a grown up. Not a teenager. Not a kid. Not even close. Now I understand he's going through a difficult time with the loss of a parent but that doesn't change the fact that he's an adult.

Hopefully he gets the opportunity to grow up and become a self-supporting MAN at some stage. Part of being an adult is figuring out how to solve our own problems - our tuition problems, our food problems, our shelter problems, find our own jobs, and deal with our personal problems on our own - especially the ones we cause ourselves by using drugs. Otherwise we are hobbled and end up living in someone's basement for the rest of our 20s... and then one day we wake up and we are in our 30s and we still don't know how to take care of ourselves.... And if we haven't learned by then, it's pretty much all down hill from there.

Talking to an adult MAN's mother every day about his doctors appointments (unless you have been appointed his guardian by the state because he is unable to take care of himself due to special needs) seems odd to me. But I guess I grew up in a world that encouraged independence and self sufficiency. I am so grateful for that.