View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SlimSlim

Question AVRT- Drinking/Smoking

As I was mentally preparing myself to quit drinking yet again (3rd time), I was coming to the conclusion which is the basis of AVRT without having been formally introduced to it. That's because I was becoming aware of the two different voices in my head, one of which was holding me back from making the step. I realized that I had to block out that other voice and let my inner voice tell me I could never drink again.

I started reading Rational Recovery yesterday. While I'm having a difficult time with the writing style and tone, I agree with the overall premise.

Like many drinkers, smoking and alcohol go hand in hand. My smoking increases while I drink. I've been smoking since I was 12, which is now 44 years.

Those ex-smokers I know who quit were basically using AVRT. When they successfully quit smoking, they knew that they were never going to smoke again.

Would any of you recommend trying to quit smoking and drinking at the same time? Or is it too much of an overload? I searched this forum and can't find a thread devoted to this topic.