Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Deuce

Weekend update on "the kid"

I went back to my origina l post because I wanted to re-read some of the initial responses that i got when I discussed our plans to take this young man into our home. I have made a couple of prior posts but put them on new threads.

I am happy to report, that again this week everything is good with all of us here.

The kid
- has been going to work (at the job my husband helped get for him). He likes it a lot it seems, and they like him also. He has talked to his boss about staying on part time when he goes back to school. And has expressed interest in working there, and what kind of possibility would there be for him to get into a specific position that he is interested in after he graduates.

- He continues to live on our basement. My husband goes down there a lot, plays pool with him and such. It was sort of my husbands man cave to start with so I dont have much need to go down there. But Ive also been enticed into a few games of pool, and while there I gave the place the once over, and he is keeping it clean. That was one of our requests.

- He is still going to his counseling sessions. I dont keep track, but I know his mother still does, and she would report it to me if he missed one. LOL

- His mother is much better about calling me now. We still usually talk once a day, and it is usually early evening, and the calls are generally short. So that is wonderful news.

- He has been going to church with us, but has now made some friends there. I posted earlier about how he went online and looked at the activities they had planned for singles, and signed up for a full day of stuff a couple weeks ago.
This weekend, he went out again with a group from the church. He has also made a friend at work. A guy who is a little but older, and has been mentoring him on part of his stuff at work. They went to a sporting event one night after work.

- The kids says he has not had any coke, alcohol, or any other drug in over 3 weeks. He has not appeared to be under the influence of anything when ive seen him. He eats dinner with us most nights and every now and then he actually seems to have a sense of humor starting to shine through.

- He wants to go back to school in September. He has talked a lot about how he really screwed up, and that he lost a full 2 semesters, and that now he is behind and all that. He is struggling right now on how he is going to pay for the tuition. If you recall, he took tuition money from his mom last semester and withdrew, got most all of it back, and then wastd it. Thousands of dollars... so now he says he is ashamed to ask her for more money. And she cleaned out his bank account (which had her name on it) so he doesnt have enough. This is his new dilemma.

Cant think of anything else. I wanted to update because I know from the start many people were hoping this would work and Ive received many notes from people saying they are praying for all of us...., and many swore it was a huge mistake.

So far me and husband are fine. No regrets at this point still.