View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
regeneration

I don't answer yes to every question. I rarely got memory blackouts, didn't want to drink earlier in the day.... but I knew, deep down, that alcohol was killing me emotionally.

When I finally stopped I'd got to the point where I stopped thinking about "are you an alcoholic" and just thought "you need to try stopping, and try it at least for a while, as something is really wrong here".

This was after I first went to AA, didn't identify initially, left AA, and stopped for a bit. Then when I did drink again I had an awful blackout as my body was making up for having stopped and I drunk a lot (that's just my opinion).

I knew then I had to stop, and stop analysing whether I was an alcoholic or not as I owed it to myself to give it a shot. But that if I kept having sober weeks then a binge it would really mess me up, booze had to go altogether. 4 months later I'm very glad, as emotionally I am now unpicking all my issues. Went back to AA, and will happily say "I am an alcoholic" without analysing it to see if I am one.... I just need to stay stopped. That's all I think now.

I can also remember someone saying at a meeting "drinking is voluntary insanity", and that stuck. I'd been destroying myself and there was no point in keeping on doing something to myself that was so insane and taking me down with it.

Might not work for everyone, but it helped me.