View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
interrupted

I have tried coke in the past, but it just didn't do it for me. In my past I have tried a *lot* of things many more times than once without developing a dependency. Drugs just didn't really do it for me, I used to always say it was because I was such a control freak that I couldn't handle the loss of control that drugs induced. Now I think I was just tightrope walking a fine line between rebelling from my family and actually becoming them. Who knows? The only thing I only did once was morphine, and it was such a draw after just one time I knew I should never ever ever touch anything like that ever again. It had my ticket downhill fast. I feel lucky to this day for recognizing that monster for what it was. Other people in my family apparently key on the same frequency because two close family members are heroine addicts.

What I found is that even if I didn't really care about any particular drug or whether somebody used it or not, I didn't like the "scene" of drug use. Even if I didn't do any drugs, hanging out with people who use and buy or sell drugs brought in an element I didn't particularly care for. Big shocker here: it turns out that the people that like drugs, use them, and buy and sell them are frequently the people who steal things from you; or the friends/dealers they travel with steal from you. And their conversation is staggeringly drug/high-centric. And hold onto your seat for this one: when you don't do drugs, people who do stop hanging around you.

So even though I didn't care if they used on their time, I didn't want them doing it around me because of all the crap that comes along with it. Drug use doesn't happen in a vacuum.

This was all back when I was in school and prior (15 years ago). I'm so out of touch at this point sometimes I have to Google to figure out what people are talking about (spice?). Now I have a front row seat to heroin addiction and it's the most tragic thing I've ever witnessed.

Last edited by interrupted; 08-01-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Fixing typos