Thread: trouble
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gincognito

I know. I was clean and sober almost two years at one point. That's a great way of putting it with "all the pain and none of the benefits". No benefits but maybe some other kinds of "fits".

You know it's a funny thing about losing things. I lost my long term relationship this past winter when I got mixed up with benzos, I've been thinking of selling my house and I tried to resign from my job but they wouldn't have it and promoted me instead those scoundrels.

Tell you what hurts the most is the realization that I didn't lose anything in all these years-just let things go that weren't compatible with addiction. So I'm culpable and not a victim.

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I think the two week thing is a hump in the road to get over . You're fresh enough to remember the routine and habbit of buying it . After about 4 - 6 weeks i think that habbit starts to receed . I think i was wary of exposure or even going down that isle in the supermarket for about 2 months . When it was christmass, after about 3 months i was able to buy drink for my mum and not worry myself about it as i felt confident in my non-drinking persona .

By giving up 2 weeks at a time you're giving yourself all the pain of withdrawl and not clearing that to where the noticeable benifits of sobriety start to kick in .

I really hope you get to it as loosing your job, houses and relationship to drink is not very nice . Sometimes thats what it takes though, it's what i had to go through to get to the point where the fear and pain of change was less than the fear and pain of carrying on .

bestwishes, M