Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
sugarbear1
~sb

Vent any time.

I fought AA for 25 years. This time around, I was very willing to do what it takes to not drink. I was taken through the steps on days 14 & 15, and on day 16, my fears, my phobias, my feeling uncomfortable in my own skin left me. That is the day I believed in a power greater than me. I haven't had a craving or desire to drink since day 16. This is my story.

I don't go to more than a few meetings a week. I do work the steps into my life. I don't listen to many slogans. I don't say the lord's prayer and I don't like the it works if you work it, that is not AA, that was rehab stuff.

AA does not have a monopoly on recovery and doesn't work for everyone nor is it for everyone. There are many other programs available such as Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, SOS, Women for Sobriety, Life Ring to name some, I'm sure there are others. Moderation didn't work for me and smoking weed but not drinking didn't work for me, either. I have to be totally abstinent from all mind altering substances, but if I needed an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety pill prescribed by a doctor, I would attempt that.

Today, I don't have to drink. Others on here don't have to drink, either. We all use different programs and some people have worked their own program. The one thing I know is that if I don't buy it, pick it up and drink it, then I don't get drunk.

I was skeptical of AA for half my life, then I did what the big book suggested. It is simple, it is not easy, but it works for me.

Find a program for you and work it like your life depends upon it.

With love,