Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
KnowHope
Recoveringed

Put the plug in the jug, just don't drink and go to meetings, and whatever you do don't pick up the first drink! If I could simply do those things on my own power, I wouldn't be an alcoholic, and I certainly wouldn't need AA. AA is for those drinkers that cannot do these things successfully, or happily, on their own power.

It actually is a simple program of clear-cut directions laid out in the first 164 pages (plus the Doctor's Opinion in the preface) of a book called Alcoholics Anonymous. The 12 steps are a proven formula for getting us cleared of the things that would take us back to a drink, showing us a new way to live and rocketing us to Power great enough to solve all our problems.

It works, it really does.

So what wouldn't I do for a gift that big?

I can understand your frustrations. When I came into the rooms, it took a lot of patience, faith and footwork to find the alcoholics in the rooms that actually knew what they were talking about. As a newcomer, I was confused, desperate and couldn't tell the difference. I started asking a lot of questions and followed my intuition forward. I find that Big Book study meetings and Primary Purpose AA meetings consistently have them. The group of miracle makers called "Big Book thumpers" helped to save and transform my life. If you want to get well and recover for good and all, I highly suggest finding a qualified sponsor with a sparkle in their eye who can guide you straight into the solution. Meetings are great and I go to a lot of them, but they are not nearly enough for me because what I really need as the foundation in my life is the steps.

We Agnostics in the Big Book helped revolutionize my understanding of what a Higher Power means to me. It really is a spiritual, not religious, program.

Simple, not always easy, but absolutely worth it. I am rooting you on all the way.