View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
soulgypsy

Yoga is really helping me right now. Remember when they used to say take a deep breath and count to ten? Well, that really works, but you have to do it over and over for real results.

I practiced yoga very regularly before I started abusing alcohol intensely. I wish I had never stopped because if I had, I might never succumbed to alcoholism. I had not really done any yoga in 15 + years. I now take a class once a week (just started about a month ago) and I spend anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes to 1 hr at home doing simple postures just on my own outside of class. Even if I do not have time to do poses, I do breathing and simple stretching daily even if it is just the first few minutes when I awaken and/or when I am feeling stressed. (you can even do standing postures in the bathroom at work! (yes, I have done it!))

I highly recommend simple yogic deep breathing combined with simple, restorative poses--my favorites are the standing forward bend and "legs up the wall". You can google these and they are contraindicated for any health condition that I know of (check with your dr if you have any health issues!)

The simplest help, and the simplest of yogic breathing is to exhale longer than you inhale. Inhale for 4 counts, hold for 5 counts, and exhale for 6 counts. Keep extending the exhale until you can comfortably inhale for 4, hold for 5 and exhale for 8 counts. It takes some time to learn and you don't want to go too fast until your lung capacity is ready, but it is really, really relaxing. Keep doing it until your tension releases.

Hope this helps. I wish you a quiet mind, an easy body and joyful dreams!