Thread: I'm done.
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hypatia

It's interesting how moving 4,000 miles away changes your perspective on things. I used to be the "go-to" person for any family emergency. Friends and family always knew that they could give me a call and I'd come running. I felt this weird obligation.

Then I moved across "the pond" and suddenly I was no longer able to come running. Well, I could but it would take a couple of days and many hundreds of dollars for me to get there. And the time zone difference also made it more difficult for quick response times to phone calls or emails.

I was forced to re-examine my whole attitude towards how I responded to others. I decided that if it was a real emergency then the person should be calling 911 rather than me. And if it wasn't such an emergency then a few hours of delay in me getting back to them shouldn't make a difference. If the delay did make a difference then it was their problem, not mine.

It actually took me a few years to completely switch into this new way of thinking. But now I realise that my stress levels have gone down a whole heck of a lot and I no longer take possession of other people's problems so quickly or easily.