Thread: Resentments
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
I told him I had resentments towards our niece, and he dismissed it saying that it wasn't legit. I told him I didn't see how it had to be legit, it just was. I tried to compare it to something his boss did to him (which he deems career murder) and he flipped out. We argued over that. UGH.
Sharing everything we do in AA with ppl not in AA doesn't usually work out too well. They don't get it, they don't really want to understand it, it sounds goofy to them, and they typically want to give you advice on how you should be doing something else instead.

We have this need though...a desire.....to share what we're doing with out mates. It takes some time and practice to learn what's safe and what's not. Unfortunately, most of the AA steps and principles are so contrary to how most ppl live their lives that sharing what you're doing will lead to more heated conversations than anything......so much of this stuff you'll have to keep to yourself (or among others in 12-step recovery) until you've changed enough that the outsiders WANT to know what you're doing. That's why they say "we deal in attraction rather than promotion."

Telling someone how great AA is usually doesn't work......showing them, by changing and becoming a different person.....usually that's compelling enough to get ppl asking. And when it's them asking "how'd you do that, how'd you change, why doesn't that bother you anymore???" - when you tell them how, they'll be a lot more receptive.