View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
skeletoncrue

If I think I have the urge to go drink, I just remember that it is my addiction that wants to go drink, not me.

I don't want to drink. I remember all the agony it caused. I remember the hangovers. I remember trying to go into work like that, probably reeking of alcohol. I remember watching all my money disappear. I remember wondering the next morning, how in the hell did I drive home last night without killing myself or somebody else. I remember all the things that I did that I regretted, with people I didn't even know. I remember that it is a miracle I am alive.

My addiction doesn't care about any of that. It just wants the pleasure of the drink. I can't blame it. It originates in the more primative pleasure seeking part of my brain. That's its job, to seek pleasure. It's helped the human species survive as long as it has by doing its job.

But I crossed a threshold with alcohol and became addicted. The good thing is, I don't have to listen to my addiction. I don't care if it wants a drink. Good for IT. But I'm in control of my legs, my arms and my mouth and I DO NOT want a drink because I know what the consequences will be.

No thank you. I think I will watch Wheel of Fortune instead and have a good night's sleep and wake up feeling good. THAT is better than any drink.

Have I ever drank and been glad I did?

NEVER.

Have I ever drank and regretted it?

EVERY SINGLE TIME.