View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Julynine

Regaining Control

It really is amazing how quickly you start to regain control of your life once you stop drinking alcohol. I am 16 days sober today and already I see a significant difference in both my well being and my ability to 'get things done'. Admittedly I feel a little tired and lethargic at times with 'head fog' and erratic emotions but it wasn't any different when I was drinking. At least I know this is temporary and will pass!

When I reflect on my life during heavy drinking binges (which could last for months) I hated not being in control of my life and always putting things off until tomorrow. The grass would need cutting, jobs around the house, things I promised the kids would just be 'shelved' until I could be bothered to do them. At work, emails would go unanswered, the inbox would increase and meetings would be postponed as I couldn't face talking to anybody. I manage a team of 35 people and most of the time my door was shut whilst pretending to be busy.

Well tonight as I drove home I felt different. I left work tonight with not a single email unanswered, nothing left in my 'pending' tray to action and 3 projects (albeit a little overdue) completed.

I read all the time on SR how alcoholism is progressive, that is so true,but you know what....... So is sobriety. It gets progressively better!

Have a great evening and don't drink.

Julynine