View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Functioning

As a wife who also unfortunately has done this to her husband, I can tell you that in that moment they are sincere, which is why it's easy to believe. Alcoholics do not want to be addicted to alcohol. But progress talks. It's unfair to you to continue to go through this feeling alone. My husband has been supportive of the fact that I'm an alcoholic for the past seven years. He has not liked it nor made this not a moment of discussion no matter how frustated I may get with it with the conversation. His love has changed me to want to work harder to not have this be a constant problem. I would rather spend time making him happy than taking another sip of alcohol, but this revolution in thinking has taken several years. Alcoholism is not easy and loving an alcoholic is not easy. If your perspective is that it's truly bringing you down, then you have a tough decision that only you can make. But, if you truly want to help and love this person, it will take sacrifice on your part, which I'm sure that you've already been doing. Nobody can give you the "right" advice as it is up to you on what you are willing to have in your life. God Bless you and I hope that you are able to find peace with whatever decision you make.