View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

I see your point...

...and can't necessarily refute it. However, condescending is not what I was expressing at all. I was raised by a single, card-carrying, NOW Member mother and I have five sisters with whom I am close. I respect and love women more than there are words in our language to explain. What you are reading, the tone you are hearing, is frustration and anger that so many women believe this **** and act in this way.

And, of course, I have my own significant codependent issues I have not hidden in any way on this forum. That said, my wife didn't start drinking until three years after we married. There is no way in hell I would then, now, or in the future, start a relationship with an alcoholic or addict unless they were in very long term sobriety and recovery. Long-term measure in a number of years, a large number of years. Thinking about it, my internal alarm didn't stop going off until I considered the number 10.

So, while I respect your opinion a great deal, please understand that my post was absolutely not meant to be condescending or demeaning to women and, if it came off that way, I sincerely apologize.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by wellnowwhat View Post
I know when I hear / see something that annoys me I should look to why it annoys me. I've read, left, and reread this thread and these are my thoughts.

I didn't find the original post to reflect "we codependents...." but rather "you, you women..." and that tone is what I find - what, condescending?

If the same sentiments had been expressed in a little more gender neutral way, or inclusive manner (like the original poster counted himself as someone who acted that way too), I am ok.

I do see some of me, as a human, in the overall idea of the post.