Thread: Help me please
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pogostick

Help me please

This breaks my heart to tell but we need help there are three players in this story. Myself my fiancé and my fiances younger brother who's only 22. I'm 24 my fiancé is 25. Their mother died in part because of alcholism 7 years ago. His younger brother lives with us and he goes out every night with his friends who are into several kinds of drugs and heavy drinking. And when he comes home every nigh he drinks 2 bottles of wine and half a bottle of whiskey by himself if not more. When he runs oh he drinks whatever is readily available and my fiancé and I have resorted to just not buying any alcohol. We don't want to restrict his life we aren't his parents but he is our family and we love him dearly. He can't sleep if he doesn't drink and when he doesn't drink he starts going through our cabinets taking my sleeping pills ( I'm on some different meds that cause some insomnia) and will resort to taking any kind of sleep aid. NyQuil, ibpro pm, taking it from us. And the drinking just never stops in the last week he drank more than 15 bottles of wine and 6 bottles of whiskey by himself. It worries me and my fiancé. We have tried talking to him and pleading with him because we just see it going further and further down hill. My fiancé just says he has to hit Rock bottom first. And I know we can't change him but is there anything that we can do or say? Something someone might have said that made someone else realize how much pain they are causing themselves and the others around him. There have been so many nights where I've stayed awake caring for him because of the affects of the drinking and the pills he takes. he's a great guy so wonderful and sweet. But I can't watch him doin this to himself. I don't want to do anything that would push him away our doors have always been open to him and his friends. I've asked his boyfriend about it and he's afraid to say anything. His father doesn't know about it because it would kill him if he did, but we are running out of options i just keep thinking he's gonna go too far one night and we will have to go to the hospital. He's admitted to us when we pressed the subject that he sees he has a problem but he's just going to. It back and for a week he does then it's straight back to drinking and pills. I haven't refilled any of my sleep aid perscriptions in weeks because I know he will take it and I couldn't stand knowing it might be because of them something happens to him.
This has not only afflicted us but his personal life also. He can't wake up in time for work at least 1-2 times a week. On his days off he's so hung over he doesn't get out of bed until night where he takes off with his friends. At home when he doesn't drink he goes into fits of rage. He will start taking knives and throwing them around the kitchen and breaking dishes. When I asked him why he would take my pills he said because I can't sleep with out something. He does not have a lot of stress he has a job at an electronic store as a floor salesman. And at him he only has to keep his things clean and do dishes every other week.
There are so many of his actions that worry us and I am willing to do whatever I can to help him. Every time I see him bring home more liquor I want to take it and smash it outside on the porch. We have taken alcohol and hidden it from him thrown it out we have thrown out all of our sleep aids or medications with else affects. We all need help. I need to know what we can do to help him see what he's doing to himself and his family. Please. I'm beggin and pleading for some help with my hopefully soon to be brother in law. We only want him to have a long and happy healthy life.