Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

check out FlyGuy12's thread just a little bit down the page! he's only 23. we have all ages here. we have quite a few young people. don't let age alienate you. i felt like that the first time i went to AA. i'm 31 and i was the youngest person there. it scared me. i was young, wearing nerdy shirts with internet jokes. no one got me. i had nothing in common with them. well, except that i am an alcoholic with a desire to quit drinking. you know? the BIG THING? the dirty, horrible monster that's been ruining my life? yeah, nothing in common my big butt.

as to feeling like you don't deserve our attention, well there's nothing we can do for you except to tell you that our concern is heartfelt because we are just like you. to not care about you is to not care about ourselves. giving advice and support to other addicts and alcoholics is part of service and being of service gives me a sense that i'm doing something good in the world. it makes me feel good. you're helping me feel better about myself so in a way, you're helping me.

try not to let our age difference be a factor around here. we probably have a lot more in common than you think. you just have to let down that well crafted wall that you've built up through the years. inside, we suffer like you. we're afraid like you. we're quite similar and since so many of us are capable of recovery, that means you are as well.