View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome to SR and congrats! to see the path your life was taking at such a young age is so amazing. you have been given an amazing gift. build a support network around you to help with sobriety and remember that you're not missing out on much. people tend to make a big deal out of drinking and making mistakes while your young like it's some rite of passage. bullsh*t. you don't need to make mistakes to learn from them. i'd rather learn from the people around me rather than make the mistakes myself. you get that from going to AA and hearing some of the oldtimers talk. i'm 31 and i've heard some real horror stories about what people have lost in their lives because of drugs and alcohol. i hear enough from people who have lived it to make me not want to walk that path myself. people talk about having to hit rock bottom before they can begin recovery. bullsh*t. i brought my rock bottom up to hit me and that's just fine. you don't have to lose everything to know that the path you're on is the wrong one. you've got the greatest gift. the gift of time. you're also going to be faced with a ton of temptations due to your youth. i'd recommend going to some AA meetings with a few grizzled elders there. you may not feel entirely comfortable at first but don't worry. they look fierce but they fonts of wisdom where alcoholism is concerned. remember that you don't need to drink to fit in. one of my favorite sayings is by a guy who gives money advice to people who are in debt. he talks about getting out of debt like we talk about dealing with recovery and alcoholism. it's hard work and you've got to make fundamental changes in the way you think and live. you've got to work it one day at a time. one of his favorite sayings is that "i'm going to live like no one else so i can live like no one else." for debt, it's about living on rice and beans and driving an ugly car until you're debt free and saving and on the right track financially so one day you're financially sound while people around you are still living paycheck to paycheck and living in financial fear because they lived foolishly while they were young. by making the right decision now, you're investing in yourself while you're young. the benefits you're going to reap if you keep this up when you're older are going to be absolutely amazing! you're already seeing the rewards. just imagine where you could be years from now if you keep making these wise, mature decisions. let the people around you make the mistakes and learn from them. keep up the good work and congrats on two months! you've got the makings of an amazing future.