View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FlyGuy12

College Student Sober at 23

Hello all,

I am new to the forums here and to the world of living sober. I figured this was a great place to start to meet others like myself that share a common bond of living the sober life.

A little quick information about myself and my story on the road to recovery. In the fall of 2008 I began college as a professional pilot major having never touched alcohol in my entire life. In a new state and city I did not know anyone at all and often spent the weekends in my dorm bored as ever. Eventually half way through my freshman year I began to hang out with a fraternity that I later became a member of in which my drinking began. It was harmless at first only some drinks here and there on the weekend, but by a year later I was drinking almost every evening. Not enough to get terribly wasted every time but somewhat. Another year goes by and I am eventually living in the fraternity house, school was not going well at all and I was consuming half a fifth of vodka every night. I was out of control and I knew it but was to scared to get help.

Finally a few months ago I had the scare that made me seek help. I had become ill one night with some food poising and decided that I did not need to drink that night. However as the hours ticked away my body began showing all the signs of a "chemical" alcohol addiction you could say. I had a fever, trimmers, vision problems, and a cold sweat. I have never been so frightened in my life (even more scared then flying through a thunderstorm solo). A few days later the semester had ended and I had gone home to the Dallas area for a few weeks before the summer semester had begun, but I had had enough. I confronted my father who happens to be a doctor and told him of my situation. He gratefully understood and was even proud of me for getting help, I then began to see the correct medical personnel and get on all the right meds to ween my body off alcohol.

Now here I am 2 months later and I am doing better than ever. I have a full time job at an airline training facility, I've lost weight, even got a new car! I am thankful that I am back on track to starting my career as a professional pilot very soon and will graduate sometime this year. It feels great to have defeated my demons, however I know this is a battle that must be fought every day because it will never, never end.

Anyways, thank you all for listening to my story, I look forward to enjoying all that there is to offer here on the forum. As well as meeting new people and sharing experiences with one another being that we are in this together.

Matt