View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
tomsteve--

I am doing fine, thank you. Since leaving 12-step recovery two and a half years ago, I have finally been able to get the support I needed and have been clean ever since. You post sounds as if you might be having some difficulties. If you feel you need any help, please pm or post.

I do not think that there is anything wrong with the religious basis of 12-step recovery. But I do think it it important to be upfront and honest. I think when one closes meetings with Christian prayers and includes god in the very foundations of recovery, it is hard to claim that this program is not religious in any way.

That said, I think that for recovery to work one has to be willing to try ANYTHING. That includes religious recovery, secular recovery, therapy, or whatever. I do not regret the 7 or 8 years I spent in 12-step recovery and continue to recommend it to others. But I find people are much more open when they are told that there is a religious component that they may or may not want to buy into.
actually, AA has been working quite well for 7 + years for me and i'm doin good. i'm not spending my time knockin any other recovery programs today, got all the support i need form my friends in AA and God, and am now one to live in the solution and help others.

as stated, now how about sharing your method of recovery to help others??? it could save someones life.