View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

most people who worry enough about their drinking to question it and go so far as to attend an AA meeting are probably an alcoholic. you want to quit but it's not just a matter of setting down the bottle. alcohol isn't just a drink, it's a drug. it's a coping skill. that is part of what makes and alcoholic and alcoholic. we don't drink for pleasure, we drink out of necessity. can you be a social drinker? well, if you say your drinking to relieve anxiety, probably not. alcohol isn't to be used like that. that is what leads to full blown, debilitating alcoholism. what i would look into is other ways to deal with your anxiety. meditation, therapy, read some self help books on the topic. alcohol is not a medication. you may go to a therapist who will refer you to a psych who will put you on medication and i will assure you that you will not be permitted to drink if you are on anti-anxiety meds. no drinks ever, social or alone. is it worth it? well, i'm on medications that don't permit me to drink and i love it. having my mental state restore to functioning is awesome. i miss the alcohol from time to time but my days get so filled with sober activities i don't have much time to think about missing booze. think about what brought you to AA and what brought you here. you are reaching out for something and i think you've found it.