View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
chrisepic

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
Addiction itself is a one-day-at-a-time phenomenon, and addicted people are the foremost experts at remaining in the moment. They often live like creatures of the jungle, except between fixes instead of meals, with time circling around itself, one-day-at-a-time. To hell with the future or tomorrow, says the Beast. All that matters is that next fix, right now.
When the high diminishes and the booze wears off, the moment vanishes and I'm left apologizing for what I did and terrified of what tomorrow will bring. So yeah, I totally agree we're experts on being in the moment as active addicts and alcoholics. The only problem is, we cant stay this way, or don't want to, and we seek help. So now the task is learning how to be in the moment sober and change the way we used to think as an addict or alcoholic; learning not to re-injure myself from the past or fear the future because ultimately those were the slices of bread in my addict way of living.

Think to yourself, right now, “I will never drink again,” and mean it. Betcha can’t.