View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
frankinnc

Yeah, AA and NA can be religious...or it does'nt have to be religious or spiritual at all. It's up to you. There are actually agnostic/atheist AA meetings in some areas now. And I can almost guarantee you that if you stick around long enough you will discover that your not the only agnostic there. Sure, the big-book/basic text is chock full of references to G-d and "higher-powers", but alot of folks I know (including myself, an agnostic buddhist) have re-interpretated this stuff so that it works for us. And different groups have different flavors:I've been to old-school meetings where there's alot of spiritual talk and slogans and big-book quoting, and then I've attended meetings where I felt like I was in the studio audience of the Dr.Phil show! Some are progressive, some are like being inside the Jim-Jones cult compound, some just plain suck...but---depending how many groups are in your area---if you shop around enough you may be able to find a group that you feel comfortable with. Personally, I get what I need out of it and leave the rest. Peace.