Thread: Tough love?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Softball27

I feel like I should share more of my daughters story, about a year ago, she told her older sister that she didn't like where her life was headed and that she needed help. Her boyfriend is a heroin addict and she was helping him support his addiction mostly by scrapping metal meanwhile she had become addicted herself. So, me and my husband confronted her and told her we would help her to get help, she said that she could do it herself(get clean) with just a few days at home with me. (so, this was last August) about the second day she was in severe pain screaming for help, so we went to the ER, from there we ended up admitting her to Highland Ridge, a treatment facility. She was there inpatient for 30 days. We attended some family meetings there with her, through those meetings we found out that she actually started using drugs at about 15 years old (how stupid are we as parents that we didn't realize it then) she had used and abused marijuana and cold medicines, by age 19 or 20 meth, and now heroin. Anyway after 30 days of inpatient she did about 8 weeks of outpatient(driving 90 miles one way 4 days a week). We set boundaries in place to try to help her to stay clean but, by December she was back with the heroin addict boyfriend, so we took the phone and car back and kicked her out, of course felt terrible not knowing where she was and what she was doing. We asked her to please come home and we would help her, she would tell us she was clean and we wanted to believe that so much. Anyway, her boyfriend went to jail in April and will be there until September, at first she said she was using this time to get clean and that the boyfriend would get clean in jail and then when he gets out they will have this great, normal life together because they would both be clean. The first of June we drug tested her and it was dirty for opiates but, she begged and pleaded with us that it was because she took sub oxone because she was having a hard day, we let it go but, told her we would test again if we suspected, and that if it was dirty we would take the car, the phone and kick her out. So, we have noticed signs and was ready to do what we knew had to be done, and I think she knew what was gonna happen so, that is why last Thursday she told me she would bring the car and phone home and get her stuff. I waited most the day Friday waiting for her but, had to leave that afternoon, I left her a couple of notes one explaining that everything is on her shoulders now. The other one asking her not to knock on our door till she is clean and her life is in order. So, she called Monday and asked how much her phone costs per month and asked if she could come get it if she gave me 100 dollars..( wonder where she got 100 dollars). I told her no, she asked why and I said because I don't like where your at and what you are doing. So, then she called yesterday and asked if she could come get the rest of her stuff, I said yes. So, I was busy and didn't talk to her when she was here but, just hugged her, told her I loved her and that we were here for her, and she left. Do I cut all ties or do I keep the lines of communication open?