View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ElroyJenkinsyan

I'm a binge drinker

I don't drink everyday but I drink every weekend. I've never called myself an alcoholic because I can go days without drinking anything and never really feel like I NEED a drink. I don't drink to forget things or because I'm super stressed. I really just do it because it's fun. I get off work Friday afternoon at 12 and go home and drink beer until I go to bed. Saturday I wake up and around lunchtime go buy more beer and drink until I go to bed. I never really get blackout drunk as it's light beer and it's over the course of several hours but I will put away 20 beers each day. I get horrible hangovers from it though complete with anxiety, panic attacks, and depression. I can't schedule anything before 12 on Sat and Sunday mornings because I know I'll be recovering.

I don't want to do this anymore. I'm 27 and I've drank every weekend with few exceptions for 3 years. It's become a habit to where I drink just because it's a Friday or Saturday. It's become a routine. My wife and I had our first baby last March and I quit drinking for two weeks and said I wasn't gonna drink anymore. Then I started trying to rationalize...well it's okay if I just drink a 6 pack on Friday and Saturday. Then it became 12. Now it's back to 18-20.

So I'm gonna stop this routine this week. I'm sure you get posts like this every Sunday with people nursing their worst hangover ever and vowing all kinds of things. But I've told my wife my intentions so I will be accountable and I thought I would join this board and vent. I usually do great until Thursday afternoon when I start rationalizing why there is a reason to drink again on the weekend. If you guys have tips let me know. I've been reading through the board already and there is some great info here. Thanks for reading.