View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HopefulGF65

Seaglass and Addiction

I went to a secluded little beach today to look for seaglass. I only started doing it this year and have found it so incredibly relaxing not to mention the rush you get when you find that special gem. I don't know why today I thought of this, but I realized sea glass is alot like addicts.

You walk the beach looking for that special piece of sea glass...so many to choose from. As you scan the area around you, your eyes are immediately drawn to the bright colors glistening in the sun. They are the shiniest for sure but they are the newest to being washed ashore. Pick one of these up and you will most likely get cut as their edges are sharp, broken. If you are new to seaglass, you are tempted by the attraction and decide to take it anyway; why not, as long as you're careful, it won't hurt you and maybe you can try weathering it at home. You wash it, file it, try everything but it just won't change.

If you keep looking, there are others all around, some starting to show its age, a bit dull, but with more days, months, years even in the ocean floor, they will become the piece of seaglass that is the most special. And that is the piece that may not be as shiny or new but the weathered edges, rounded and softened with years of tumbling through the sometimes calm, sometimes turbulent ocean blue, will be kind to your hands and hopefully give you pleasure for many years to come. Once you realize that the not-so-shiny is your best decision, you decide to bring the sharded piece of glass back to where you found it. You know you will miss it because it's what attracted you first. But in order for it to become that soft, rounded gem, you have to let it go. Gently leave it at the water's edge or throw it back in the ocean, but leave it to find its own beauty and one day, if you decide to return, you may find it again.