View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lillamy

I've finally gotten to the point where I can sit with my emotions and let them be.
Let them be what they are.
Without freaking out about them.
(Well, most of the time, at least... )

For me, self-care starts with allowing myself to feel whatever it is I'm feeling.
And reassuring myself that I am worth taking care of.
This summer has been the summer of ME.
I honestly feel like I've held myself like a baby and reassured myself, hugged myself, let myself know that I'm lovable and lovely just the way I am right now. And that any changes I want in my life, I need to want because they add value to my life, not to live up to someone else's idea of what I ought to be or do.

I go to the gym when I want to. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I have long staredowns with myself when offered to go out and do something with friends -- I don't want to become a hermit, but I'm so used to doing what other people want that half the time, I don't even know what I want myself.

I've journaled a lot. Thought a lot. Cried less than I thought. Walked so many miles I need new sneakers. I've learned to say no without coming with excuses.

I'm not there, but I'm listening to myself. And that, for me, is the first step in taking care of myself. Finding out what I really want. Making sure I feel the love.