View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
allthatsgood

Anvilhead - You are 100% right in my view, when you say doing the right thing doesn't earn you special treatment. But here's the thing, when my two other children were first starting out on their own, I gave them some LIMITED support until they got on there feet. But it was only for a month or two and from there on they never asked me for anything. Addiction was not part of the picture for either of them. Daughter is working about 6 yrs now, older son 2 years, both living on their own away from home. I realize my younger AS is a different story and needs to be handled differently. And that is why I have struggled with the decision of how much support to give him because I am highly aware of how easy support turns to enabling. If he did not have a problem with addiction would I help him with starting out on his own, getting his own place? Absolutely but it wouldn't be a blank check if you know what I mean. I can't tell you how many friends and relatives I have right now who can't find jobs in or out of their profession. The economy stinks. If I thought he wasn't actively pursuing employment somewhere, anywhere, my thought process might be different. Has he asked me for money each week? No, it's something I offered. But here's the good news - he received a paycheck from that 3 day job and has told me he's good for a few weeks. Also, on Saturday he goes back for the 3rd interview at the restaurant to cook for them. Let's hope they love his food!!!