View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
HuskyPup
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good to see you again
Social support is helpful for sure, but I got sober with just SR, so it's possible.

I just had to take the drinking option of the table. That meant making a lot of changes and adjustments to my life but it's was worth it.

I'm not trying to make it sound easy - it's not - but it's not impossible either IMO.

Why do you think you find it impossible not to drink Husky?

D
I think it is that my social life has for so long involved it, in some way or another. From the days I worked as a sommelier, 7 years ago, until now: these social circles that involve drinking, and how good it makes me feel at the time. The freedom from physical pain, too, is a big part. That, and a current lack of motivation: This lack of faith in my abilities ever to have a meaningful career, and start over, at my age. A feeling like death is around the corner no matter what. A lot of things, when I think of it, but largely, a lack of places to go/things to do where there isn't alcohol all over. So you could say the way it has become so deeply ingrained in city life, and this late-night world I live in. And out of anger, too, I suppose, that I have failed at so many things in life.

@Live2Run25...Yeah, it's tough. I'm here in Baltimore, of all things. I am gonna try and make a SMART meeting on Friday, near DC, at 7 PM, though I dread the traffic at that time...but pretty much, that's about the closest thing, on a day I have off. I imagine in Western MD, SMART meetings are scarce, but you might wanna check them out, or I can look and see what there is, and pass it along.