View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

My husband is an active alcoholic and he also spends way too much money on booze (Crown Royal, to be exact). He also makes almost nightly trips to his favorite bar, where he tends to "treat" his buddies to free drinks and food. We can afford it at the moment but it is still money that can be used more productively, especially since we have two kids and it would be my preference to see that money go into savings/trust accounts for their future. After all, the money isn't going to last forever at this rate. I have mentioned it before but it tends to go in one ear and out the other.

As far as his drinking goes, I've pretty much shut up about it. He knows he has a problem (he has been through detox three times), but he always goes back to it. I have finally come to the realization that there is nothing I can do or say that will change things. I can only hope that he will continue to see the positive effects in my own sobriety and that it will someday motivate him to quit for good.

You can only mention your concerns (in a non-critical, non-judgmental way) and hopefully he will eventually listen. If he is drinking alcoholically as you say, but only on weekends for now, that could change. He could up drinking more often as time goes on. That's how it often works, since this is a progressive illness. I hope that doesn't happen for either of you. For now, all you can do is state your concerns and your feelings (without blame ... blame and pointing fingers tends to do more harm than good), and just hope that he hears you. And then, like the others have suggested, perhaps sit down together and work out a budget where he only spends "X" amount of money on beer per week. Then put another "X" amount of money into a savings account for your new home. Since he is an intelligent, thoughtful man, perhaps this will be an agreeable and logical solution for both of you.

Best of luck to you both.