Thread: Why?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
shapeup

My family is the same way. When we have "get togethers," we cook, listen to music, and sit on the patio and drink. Now that I'm not, it gets uncomfortale for all of us. I had an instance where my family was talking behind my back in another room because I wasn't drinking and they were all like "I'm gonna drink." Also, they tend to make it a bigger deal than I do, and that's what makes me feel uncomforable because I'm just trying to maintain some normalcy, ha. Plus, it does take time to get comfortable with yourself sober. I am 8 days sober, and this time, I'm not going to let their feelings about "my" drinking effect my feelings or decisions because I am feeling so good that I have made it this far and I won't let anyone rob me of this huge achievement. That's why this site is so good. People here get it. Sometimes, family doesn't and in my case if I really think about that, it's not just about the alcohol we don't see eye to eye. You can't choose your family, but you can choose to not listen to them!