Thread: Why?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jeni26

Why?

I've just got home after spending an evening with my brother and sister in law. They are heavy drinkers and were very drunk. I had to leave to pick up my daughter from a party and have come home leaving my H there ( he hasn't drunk for almost 6 weeks). I'm trusting that he won't drink now I've gone home.
At one point in the eve, my bro in law asked me if I'd given up drinking completely and why. I thought it might be a good time to be honest although both he and his wife were already completely drunk. I told them I had been drinking too much and felt as though it had got a grip of me and I was better off without it. I omitted being in AA and spared any gruesome details of how bad my drinking had got and how ill it was making me.
I couldn't have gauged their reactions. He asked a few questions and moved on. But my sister in law....she was really cross! Stormed out and then ignored me for the rest of the evening. It was really uncomfortable. I have no idea why she felt like that and I know I'm now going to have a sleepless night imagining and hypothesising and generally over-thinking.
Maybe she feels like I've ruined our usual drunken evenings by acting 'boring'?
Maybe she feels I'm making a judgement on them or her for how she drinks?
Maybe she feels as though I'm forcing my H not to drink (as if I could!)
Maybe she felt I snubbed her by leaving early to collect my daughter?
I'm now feeling anxious and a bit irritated.
I'm doing this because it will quite possibly save my life. Why should it make any difference to her what I'm drinking?
Why does this bother me so much. This feeling of resentment is a trigger and I need to let it go!!