Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Deuce

Originally Posted by PrayingMama View Post
This is a tough one, so many factors. But the young man is not a child, he's a young adult. Sounds as though he could benefit from bereavement counseling (groups available in almost all areas), as well as needing to seek recovery for substance abuse.

As far as finding drugs (or a dealer) at an NA meeting--drugs can be found anywhere for those who wish to use. Whether its NA or one of the secular groups--that kind of support is crucial.

Is your husband a recovering addict? Are you ready/willing/able to turn your home into a sober living environment and all that entails? Written contracts, clear, firm, enforced boundaries, etc.

It's understandable that you want to help in this situation, but if you're naive or ill-informed, all of you could be in for disaster.

You've made a wise decision posting on this forum. Lots of experience and information here.
The therapy that he is in is supposed to handle both the grief counselng and the drug and alcohol use.

My husband has had experience using cocaine, and he also stop using on his own several years ago. He used recreationally, so I dont consider him an addict. I think it does give him an upper hand on helping this young man.

Maybe we are already in over our head, because there are no plans to have signed contracts. Although when my husband brought him in last weekend, he told him to basically keep the basement clean, no drugs in the house, he didnt want to see him drunk, and he had to be respectful of me or he would be out.

He has went to counseling twice this week, and Im sure of it because his mom called the Dr to check up on him.