Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
carmel01

am i doing the right thing making him leave?

hi i am new here and desperate to know i am not alone.
yesterday i finally gave up hope that my alcoholic bf of 6 years will ever give up drinking, and made him leave. i am so sad. ive read a few of your posts on here and your stories are all so familiar...

i am 38 and have known my bf for over 20 years, and yes, i knew he was a drinker way back then. my dad was also an alcoholic, and he actually died on a binge when he was just 41. (he choked on his own vomit). so i watched the hell he put my mum and us kids through, and i have finally realised that i am doing the same to my kids. i have two older children from a previous relationship 11 and 13 years old, and we have a 2 year old together. he also has a child from a previous relationship.

i guess i just need to know am i doing the right thing getting him to leave? i will probably need to sell my house as i cant afford the repayments on my own. i have been the one paying the bills, working, looking after the kids, and basically trying to keep us afloat as we drift further into debt caused by his drinking. i have put up with his nasty cruel comments, listened to his promises and lies over and over again, forgiven him numerous times, cleaned up his drunken messes, and have almost been driven to drink myself. he has tried to stop drinking in the past, and it never works - hes been to aa, tried medication, cold turkey and nothing works. he loves the bottle more than anything else. finally today he told me that he is prepared to lose me and our family, because he will never stop drinking. i know that too. so he is gone. now we have to sort out everything, and i know that i will be the one who will have to be strong but oh, i just dont know if i have the strength. i love him so much, i will miss him so much.

so, my story is too long to share everything here now, but i guess i am just hoping to reach out to others who have been through a break up with an alcoholic partner already, or are going through it now, especially if you have children together, and listen to any advice. please help me