Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
Time is not on your side with that tactic. Don't believe me? How many posts have you seen from people wondering why they drink even though they know it makes them feel like crap the next day? They may try to picture the standard "skull and crossbones" poison sign on that beer bottle, but the Beast will not be threatened in the least by that, and it certainly won't be deterred. When the time comes, especially once the painful memory of that last hangover begins to fade, the Beast will just say "you know it just ain't poison, and that unlike poison, it will feel really good, so just go for it, pal!"

Besides, alcohol, while poisonous to the human body in large quantities, isn't just poison. Like all hedonic drugs, the damage alcohol causes is secondary to the buzz or the high, and everyone intuitively knows this. What is the street value of poison? Can you actually set up shop on a street corner and sell arsenic, for example? Can you even give it away for free? How many junkies would line up for that sweet deal?

Again, my Beast has no ability for memory, and no ability for any intellectual whatever: its about as smart as a bag of rocks, lol.

No matter my message to my Beast, it will always have the same response: its wants alcohol... so... it really is of small consequence what it knows or dosen't know, since it always behaves the same no matter the situation.

The accumlative damage done by alcohol to my psyche can't be empirically measured, like you can when inspecting the purely physical damage of alcohol to my body / brain and so on. The psychic damage is nonetheless the more serious damage for most alcoholics, and their physical damage pales in comparison, is my experience working with others who decide to live a life of abstinence. Yes, I'm an alcoholic, and my stating this dosen't get my Beast up and howling, either, fwiw.