View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cangel2

My 22yr old AS was very clear that he did not want to move home after his 30 day rehab. He wanted a completely separate and different environment. I think that being home would have triggered him and he knew it. I also think he has some guilt about his behavior when he was here he is likely working through too - I didn't think right out of rehab was the time for that kind of work.

He moved out of a roommate situation into his own apt. He wanted solitude more than anything and the ability to live the way he needed to. I was skeptical at first but so far (7 months) it is working out very well for him. It is also working out very well for me too - I need that distance as much as he does.

I figure there will be time for us to heal our relationship further at some point but right now he is very self focused and working on setting up his life the way he wants to live it. As long as that includes recovery work, school and being sober - I am supporting him in his efforts.

When he is here (he does pop in for a visit now and then) my Mom vigilance radar turns back on instantly. I keep quiet about it but I feel it. I think this is normal (happens with my daughter too) but it gets amped up when your kid is a recovering addict. It's not very healthy and it is exhausting.....I couldn't do it full time.

All the best to you.....keep reading and posting....