View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SeekingGrowth

Hi, Jen. You might want to think about having your daughter move into a sober living house (SLE) for a few months before moving back with you. When my son went to rehab for the first time (heroin), I thought there was no reason why he couldn't be with me rather than an SLE, as I thought I could do everything they could do in terms of structure, rules, etc. I was wrong about that. First, it wasn't helpful for my son to move back into the very same environment where he had a history of hanging around with users and using himself (against my rules and without my knowledge). My very house was a trigger. Second, I have a life myself and was not in a position to monitor his compliance with my rules. I couldn't get him to work out a schedule with me, couldn't get him to go to meetings or to set up his IOP. It was a mess. Within two days, he had relapsed, and within a week, I was forced to throw him out of my house. The entire week was emotionally grueling.

At an SLE, your daughter would have structure, rules, chores, be required to go to meetings, get a sponsor and get a job. She would be living in a community focused on recovery from addiction with other people working towards the same goal. And you won't be forced into the role of warden, jailer, drug tester, enforcer, etc. She might have a better chance of sustaining recovery in this type of 3/4 or halfway house than moving immediately back in with you.