View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
lillamy

This is brilliant.
Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
No such thing as a "functional" alcoholic. The term is an oxymoron.

When that term is used, it's usually associated with financial responsibility. As if that's the only thing human beings need to do in order to be viewed as "functional."

Think of all the aspects of humanity for a minute - physical health, emotional health, relationships, morality, social awareness...

Truth is, for most A's (including this one), they stop functioning as human beings long before the financial responsibilities are cast aside. That's usually the last thing to end, because an A needs money to 1) have a place to drink, and 2) to buy more alcohol. Financial responsibility is the one thing the A needs to support their addiction.

Alcohol took away my humanity and never once affected my financial responsibilities. I fail to see how a life lived in that way can be viewed by any reasonable person as "functional."
Thank you for putting into words what I've always felt to be "off" about that label.

Of all the alcoholics I know, not a single one missed a single day of work because of their drinking. They may have lost families and been up to their earlobes in debt -- but they were still working, still making money. Surviving, but not living.