View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Stevie1

I agree it's your problem to deal with...I still maintain that it's a bit insensitive and non-supportive not to abstain in solidarity in your early weeks or months of sobriety. Something that would not be at all difficult for a mature-minded, non-alcoholic spouse or partner. Heck, several years ago one of my best friends (obese and diabetic) went on Atkins...I did it in solidarity with her. It was easy for me; I have no problems at all controlling or changing what I eat and I'm one of those annoying people who never gains or loses weight no matter what. It was easy for me to do and meant a lot to her because she is, basically, addicted to food and appreciated the support.

Then again, you have changed the rules and the dynamic in your marriage by getting sober and she may not like that on every level. A short-lived marriage of mine came to an end after I quit drinking and I learned at the time that it's difficult for both partners when one gets clean. In my case, my then-husband was used to the sober/caretaker role when I got wasted, which was often...I changed the rules when I got (temporarily) sober and he had a tough time with figuring out his new role in the marriage.

So I'm not saying your wife is insensitive (that would be an ad hominem attack) but that what she is doing is somewhat so...but she's also maybe trying to figure out where she fits with the new you.