View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mattcake

Hi Grayscale

If I'm not mistaken, the DSM-IV (mental health manual) cautions against diagnosing a person during their first two months of sobriety.

This does seem to be overly prudent.

In practice, at least in my case, an evaluation (interview) revealed that I had been suffering from severe depression for several years (I had other disorders too). Alcohol made it all terribly worse. I was started on an antidepressant the day I began my first detox.

Leaving all of the technical stuff aside, at the time it seemed obvious to me that I was depressed (though I hadn't imagined the severity). Nobody becomes addicted to booze because they're leading grand, fulfilling lives. IŽd gone through several traumatic events before and during those years. How do you recognise them? Think about your past... I'm betting that they're the events that make you cry.

My shrink made this very clear: treating the underlying depression is not a cure for addiction. They both need to be addressed, the treatment is not interchangeable. How to treat them? Fellowship + therapy, SR + SMART. the approaches, as you probably know, are endless. The key here is, whatever you choose, reach out --like you're doing now

I agree with Scolova and CaiHong, several experiments prior to quitting showed me that my depression and anxiety diminished dramatically when I was sober for a while.

I've rambled, hope this helps Do ask your doc, just to be on the safe side.