View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
5BadDogs

I'm with Stevie1. My AH is new to recovery (28 days in) and asked whether we could keep alcohol out of the house to limit his temptation. So it's gone.

Also, we've been out socially once and to dinner just us once since he began rehab, and I'd never dream of having a drink in front of him.

Maybe someday he'll feel comfortable with it? But if that day never comes, I'll not drink. No big deal.

He knows when we mingle with others, that they may be drinking. He can't expect the whole world to stop drinking after all. But as his wife, I want to give him all the support he needs to be successful in his recovery. Not having alcohol in the house seemed a no brainier.

I don't think it would be unreasonable of you at all to ask that she forego drinking in your company until you no longer feel uncomfortable with it. And for her to go out and tie one on with your mutual drinking buddies while you are trying to form new habits seems terribly insensitive. If she finds giving up drinking to be too much of a struggle or sacrifice, what is it that she thinks YOU must be going through?

Good luck with the situation.