View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2granddaughters

Originally Posted by MrLofg0029 View Post
Hi All,
To make it short, my partner of 5 years and recently former fiance and I are working to rebuild our relationship. I stated going to AA 9 months ago, relapsed one night after 6.5 months sober, and just got 30 days on Thursday.

The reason we're not engaged is that I ended it after 6 months sober after 6 months of pure craziness from her end. Since then, she has started Al-Anon, has made tremendous progress on her end of things, and she and I are building a healthy relationship back up from the ashes.

She is most likely not an alcoholic, however it runs in her family. If she and I are out, she will occasionally have a glass of wine/beer and I am fine with that. My issue is that about 1X every two weeks, she'll go out, party with our/my old friends, and get pretty/blasted drunk. She can shut it down easily, unlike me, though. Outside of those episodes she'll go on a wine tasting with friends, have a glass of wine a couple nights a week, or meet friends out for drinks. These are not abnormal behaviors, but I'm finding my self-esteem and pride are being impacted.

It's not my place to control her drinking, and it's my emotions that are the problem with this, I guess.

Still, I can't help but be angry at her for it. She and I both know that I can't be around wild drinking environments.

Is she being totally insensitive. Am I being overly sensitive? Any insight is appreciated.
What does your AA sponsor say about your situation?

I have AA friends who have decades of sobriety and their spouses imbibe.

The BB says that all we need is our HP and that's pretty well it. I can't put conditions on my sobriety like "If she does this, I'll stay sober". Then she has the power, not your HP.

My wife quit smoking 10 yrs before I did, I know my smoking aggravated her but I wasn't ready to quit yet.. and she stayed quit in spite of me.

All the best.

Bob R