View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oinobares

My wife and I have a long history of enjoying drink together--fine wine, cocktails, etc. We had a lot of pleasant times. The unpleasant ones occurred when I got drunk. She is an entirely healthy, normal drinker. I am the alcoholic. I have accepted I can't pick it up. She still drinks, but does so discreetly--she doesn't wave it in my face, but she doesn't hide it either. I am pretty much able to ignore it. Her drinking was never a "trigger" for me. My triggers were always inside me. So I've never felt uncomfortable or endangered by her continued healthy drinking in my presence, at our home.

On the other hand, she is not going out and getting drunk occasionally. If that happened I would probably express a loving concern for her safety and well-being. Maybe you could tell her honestly that it bothers you and perhaps triggers you, and that maybe she could be more discreet, tone it down? I don't know if you go to meetings, but if my wife were going out for party night, and it was causing me discomfort in my sobriety, I would choose that same time to go to a meeting and get some extra armor on.

It's a tough situation, because even though I am not in fear of relapse around her drinking, I still feel that nostalgia and loss when I see her calmly enjoying a glass of wine with a friend she has over. `

My best wishes to you.