View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
auden67

Made it to Day 30 thanks to SR!

Hi everyone, and good morning to all! Today is my Day 30 of sobriety, and I just wanted to say thank you to each one of you for sharing your stories, tips, struggles, and hope.

The first few days were very tough. I felt raw, anxious, nervous for a practicing a life I hadn't since I was a kid. How would I fill my time? How would I cope with stress? How would I celebrate good times with friends? I read a lot of addiction memoirs, notably A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill, Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp, and Guts by Kristin Johnson. I read recovery websites by AA and Rational Recovery. And I read a LOT of SR. I start my morning and end my night practicing gratitude and visiting the SR forum. If nothing else, to remind and be in fellowship with others like me.

My life has improved immensely. I've lost some weight, cleared up my skin and bloated face, and feel more like exercising. Still having troubles sleeping, but it's getting better. I take a B vitamin complex and twice -daily 5-htp (tryptophan) to help regulate my mood, because I noted irritability early on.

I'm so grateful for my bf and his support and encouragement. I love being a better, more present friend, sister and daughter. I am able to be there for my mom when she went into the hospital, and my brothers as they had problems. I love reading more. And I may be offered a new job soon, a positive career change, that I never would have believed I deserved when I was drinking.

Thank you to everyone. I know this is just the beginning, but I am grateful for the good start. I practice gratitude ALL DAY and often think about how much my life used to suffer and think through drinking and its consequences. It keeps me dedicated and committed to sobriety.

For anyone still thinking of dropping the drink, you can do it! I'm nothing special but special and wonderful like every one of you.

Thank you,
Auden