View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by feelingalone43 View Post
I do not believe in anyone using their past as an excuse for making poor choices in their adulthood. If you didn't have the most positive childhood, you still have the ability to make your own way as an adult. All of us have choices to make, and we can be the ones to break the cycle if there is one.
While I agree that our childhood issues don't give us permission to make poor choices as adults, I respectfully disagree that it has zero impact.

I only say this because I have seen very close friends (non-A) struggle with childhood abuses/issues (direct & implied) which shaped their foundational thinking. Since these events were so tied to how they developed their definitions, sense of self & personal value they benefitted GREATLY from re-examing it all as adults & gaining a greater understanding of why certain triggers or issues persisted despite their physical maturity. It's like balls were set into motion in their lives years ago & without realizing it, they just kept letting them roll along without questioning it.

For the record, I grew up poor with an addict for a father so my own childhood is not without issues. While I don't allow that to control my decisions today, it took a lot of work & awareness on my part to choose to walk a more responsible path. And it didn't come easily. Just my $.02.