View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
feelingalone43

Second counseling session

Yesterday, our marriage counseling session was supposed to be divided in half for us to each have individual time with the counselor. Well, AH went in first, and finally came out 50 minutes later. The counselor apologized to me, but I was fine with it because I am only there to be supportive of AH. This counselor wanted to ask questions about my childhood, my parents, my siblings...

In my opinion, we are there for marriage counseling. We need to focus on what is troubling our marriage and work toward dealing with those issues. Is this their way of making sure there will be more and more sessions so they get more money, or is this normal? The questions he asked were very easy for me to answer, and he was surprised at how fast that part of things went for me. Apparently, AH had a lot of baggage to discuss.

I do not believe in anyone using their past as an excuse for making poor choices in their adulthood. If you didn't have the most positive childhood, you still have the ability to make your own way as an adult. All of us have choices to make, and we can be the ones to break the cycle if there is one.