Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Family Member here.

My husband got hooked on pain meds after a sports injury and several surgeries. Instead of weaning off, he ended up adding more .

Now about 15 months later.... he is in a non-12 step rehab center where he went through detox, and is now getting individual therapy along with other holistic treatments. He is doing really well.

When he was actively using and not wanting to stop, I went ahead on my own and started researching recovery methods. I wanted to be ready to assist my husband when he was ready. It took a while but he made the decision on his own.

Neither of us could embrace the 12 step approach because of the issues of being powerless, and the necessary lifetime commitment to declare himself as an addict and attend meetings that keep him an addict.

What we chose was more of an individualized approach where he works with a great staff of psychiatrist and other therapists. Dare I say....addiction is not considered a lifelong disease.

From my readings I think most of the concepts are very similiar to AVRT, SMART. And I would suggest also that you look at CRAFT because they have things specifically for family.

I started here on Newcomers, and because I was family was directed to the Family Forum, but I must say I have had a lot of people telling me what we are doing is all wrong because its not 12 step based. It does get tiring !

My husbands treatment puts a high value on family participation, and family therapy also. Its because as you said, a person coming out of rehab has to be able to go back home and adjust to real life. In my husbands case that means me and our 5 month old son, his career waiting while he is on medical leave, etc.

Just wanted to say hello, and let you know you are not alone.