Thread: Step 2
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CatFry

Step 2

"Came to believe that a power greater th ourselves could restore us to sanity"

I had a hard time with this. All arguments about the nature of alcoholism medically and psychologically put aside, wasn't I the one who continued to drink after the bad effects? I felt this was a bit of a cop-out.

I am spiritual, and scientific. It took me to realize that believing that "God" was a part of every thing, including myself, for me to swallow this step. Praying that God would help me do a good job at work each day is praying to both a universal power and that ity-bitty piece of God that resides in me. It was not too egotistical of me. It was the same with praying for sobriety.

My scientific side had a harder time. That is when I realized that even science, which is a power much greater than me, supported the idea that I cannot drink. So even my concerns about being spiritually inept and/or egotistical could be put aside. Science has declared me an alcoholic. Therefore this power bids me not to drink.

I hope my thoughts on this are not offensive to anyone. It is good for me to write it out in a forum.