View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

I will tell you good, great, awesome, fantastic job, somebodyelse!!! I was sooooo in your shoes when I first got sober ( 17 months ago ). Even though my husband was the impetus for me getting sober, he was not entirely on deck with the game plan at first. He still drank. In fact, my first week out of detox he brought home my favorite bottle of wine and drank the whole bottle, by himself, in front of me. Needless to say, he did not win any awards for that. All of our friends drink, so social occasions were awkward for me. The first year was challenging. When my friends asked I just said "not drinking tonight...got a diet coke?" They eventually got the message. So did my husband, who never drank alcoholically in the first place, and now drinks very little. 2 drinks on occasion is his limit these days. I'm cool with that. I'm much stronger now and have integrated myself back into my social scene somewhat. I still don't enjoy being around "drunks" because they are just not interesting conversationalists....I have nothing in common with them any longer. You do not owe your friends an extended version of why you are not drinking. But you do need to have an honest, serious conversation with your husband ( IMO ). He needs to be on your side and on your "team". Your sobriety depends on that. Again....this is only MY experience. Good luck, and I hope you stay the course!